The Scriptures say that God’s people should give because:
- Giving is a grateful response to the generosity of God, shown in the death of his Son. (2 Corinthians 8-9)
- We are partners in the gospel. (Philippians 1:3-7)
- We have an obligation to provide for those who labour amongst us in the Lord and teach us God’s word. (1 Corinthians 9; 1 Timothy 5:17-18)
- We also have an obligation to provide for the needy. Jesus said: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself’. (Matthew 22:39; Galatians 6:10; James 2)
The Principle of Giving
In the Old Testament, God’s people were commanded to give a tenth (‘tithe’) of all their produce to God in joyful response to his generosity.
The New Testament doesn’t stipulate percentages, but challenges us with the principles of generosity, partnership, obligation and love. As New Testament believers we are still to give back to God in response to his generous blessings to us (Phil. 4:18).
So how much should we give? The more fundamental question to ponder is this: How much have we received from God?
We have received God’s ultimate generosity to us in the death of his Son, who,
"though he was rich, yet for our sake became poor, so that through his poverty, we might become rich" (2 Cor. 8:9).
If we truly understand this gospel we will give back cheerfully, generously, and with thanksgiving.
If you are unsure about how much you should give, pick up a copy of the Guidelines To Giving booklet available in our church buildings.
How to Give
There are several ways you can give to the work of Helensburgh and Stanwell Park Anglican Church:
We recommend setting up an electronic transfer (EFT) with your bank to help you give regularly and faithfully:
- Account Name: Helensburgh and Stanwell Park Anglican Church
- BSB: 802-249
- Account: 249 907 477
- Description "Offertory" (or "Mission" to contribute to our mission partners)
Cash can be placed in the offertory bag during Sunday services or forwarded to the church office at any time.
Giving envelopes are available in the church buildings and are helpful reminders to give regularly. They also allow you to divide your gift between the church and mission partners.
You can make a lasting contribution to the work of the gospel by leaving a bequest in your will.
Please contact a Warden for advice if you are considering this option.
For more information
Contact the office or the Wardens for more information on the financial administration of Helensburgh and Stanwell Park Anglican Church.
All giving should be:
Regular (1 Corinthians 16:2)
Systematic (1 Corinthians 16:2)
Proportional (1 Corinthians 16:2)
Generous (2 Corinthians 9:7)
Cheerful (2 Corinthians 9:7)